Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Oh, My Achin' Hips!

I definitely have a new pregnancy symptom... My hips hurt! Thankfully, I had already read that this happens in pregnancy, or else I would've been really concerned because they hurt a LOT! Yesterday morning I woke up and could barely walk because of it - I limped around the house like an old lady all day! I've read that sleeping with a pillow between your legs helps keep them aligned while sleeping and eases the pain. So I tried that last night and it did help a lot. Still a little achy, but nothing like yesterday. I'm just surprised that it's happening so soon - I expected it once my belly got big, but I'm not all that big yet! Oh well. When we get home I may invest in one of those pregnancy pillows that curls around your whole body and keeps everything where it should be. Did anybody use one of those, and did it help? Do you have any other suggestions?

4 comments:

Alicia said...

I found your blog through Corrie's, and I just wanted to give you a quick tip. I am 24 weeks pregnant, and I have the Boppy pregnancy pillow. I love it (although I'm not sure it works much better than just a regular pillow). The other thing I do is take a warm bath before bed almost every night. I didn't realize how much this did to relax my joints until I skipped it one night and was really hurting the next day. Hope this helps!

Corrie said...

I use a regular body pillow and sleep with it between my legs. If I flip to the other side, I use a king-sized pillow. I went for a regular body pillow because it was a lot cheaper than the fancy pregnancy pillows. It has worked just fine for me! Gracie LOVES it and always wants to snuggle up on it. I've promised her she can have it once I don't need it any more! :)

Joni said...

Thanks for the tips, ladies! I will definitely try the warm bath thing. The house we'll be staying in until we find our own place actually has one of those whirlpool baths, and I'd HATE to have to take one of those every night! :)

KarenD said...

I got the body pillow, but I haven't had much luck with it... makes me hot, not much room in the queen size bed for hubby, me, and big pillow, and I'd somehow manage to get a crick in my neck.

Sleeping does not get easier, unfortunately (I'm at 32 weeks). You can probably expect some back pain in the third trimester.

On the hip pain, I wonder if this is just because everything is stretching and growing? In the second trimester, I had crazy ligament pains that felt like side stitches. I'd have to bend slightly when I walked.