Thursday, October 26, 2006

Ding, Dong, the Mouse is Dead!

Many of you know that for the past 2 weeks, we've had a mouse in our house! The problem is that he hasn't been technically IN our house, more like UNDER it. He's been scritching and scratching underneath the kitchen cabinets, but we couldn't find any holes in the cabinets to make us think that he could get out into our kitchen. So the glue trap we set out could do absolutely no good, since we couldn't put it anywhere where he could get caught in it. Instead, we'd just hear him at all hours of the day and night. Justin (a terribly light sleeper) would even be woken up in the middle of the night by the noise. (I, however, could sleep through an atomic bomb blast.) So we told the apartment management about it, and they sent over an exterminator last Friday. He couldn't really get to the mouse either, but he did find a little hole in the cabinet under the sink. The mouse probably hadn't been getting through this hole yet, but he probably would. So the exterminator put little cubes of poison in nooks & crannies all over our kitchen, and we just had to hope that the mouse would eventually get into the kitchen and eat it! (Can you believe us actually WANTING a mouse to get INTO our kitchen?!) In the meantime, he just scritched and scratched away, making himself at home under there! Until yesterday, we finally had some action. Apparently the mouse finally clawed his way through that little hole under the sink, and the first thing he did was proceed to consume a whole cube and a half of poison. Not the most intelligent thing to eat in a human kitchen. This was like his whole body weight in poison! So, needless to say, he didn't last long. Justin got home from school yesterday and found the poor little guy croaked in the middle of the kitchen floor. Thankfully, he died in the middle of the floor instead of curling up under the cabinet and kicking the bucket there! So thus ends our Mouse Saga. We're leaving out the poison for a while longer in case there was more than one of them, but we didn't hear any scratching last night. I can't help but be a little sad, though. (Justin can't believe I say this! He HATES rodents.) But I had pet gerbils and hamsters when I was a kid! So how is the little guy we just killed any different than little Trixie I had when I was in 3rd grade? The difference is that Trixie didn't live under my kitchen cupboard and keep my husband from sleeping at night. So I guess if either the mouse or my husband had to go, I'll keep the husband. :)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

We used to have mice in our garage in TX, but I thankfully never had to deal with a dead one. I think it'd make me a little sad, too.

We did spot a mouse dart out of our wood pile and across the back yard the other day. I hope he doesn't ever come in with a load of firewood!

Good to hear from you!

Kristy said...

Well i'm glad to hear you finally got the mouse...although I agree, I'm a little sad for him.