Thursday, November 02, 2006

I've Always Wondered...

I heard a song on the radio this week that REALLY touched me. I've always wondered about things like this, but I've never heard anyone else talk about it. But in this song, Todd Agnew expresses perfectly the things I've always wondered about Jesus' life on earth:
Todd Agnew - Did You Know?
From the album Do You See What I See?

Were Mary’s the first eyes you saw
Or did You remember choosing that shade of brown?
Were You surprised at the shepherd’s crazy story
Or did You know You wrote the song the angels sang?

What was this life like for You?

Did You know?
Did the cross cast its shadow o’er your cradle?
Did You know?
Did You shudder each time Your hammer struck a nail?
Did you know?
How much heaven and how much earth
Were in this baby at His birth?
Did you know? Or did you wonder?

Did you remember the brightness of Your glory
Or did You just notice it was cold and dark here?
Did You know Your name or did you have to be told?

Were You just a baby or were You as old as time?

What was Your life like?

Did You know?
Did the cross cast its shadow o’er your cradle?
Did You know?
Did You shudder each time Your hammer struck a nail?
Did you know?
How much heaven and how much earth
Were in this baby at His birth?
Did you know? Or did you wonder?

What a moving thought, and how appropriate to think about as the Christmas season approaches. May we all meditate on the life of Christ and all He gave up to come to earth as a man to die for the sins of you and me.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I've not heard that song, yet, but it looks really good! Anne Rice (yes, the author of all those vampire books) wrote a book called "Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt" about Jesus' childhood. It's supposed to raise a lot of the same questions. I've not read it yet, but I understand the premise is that Mary & Joseph kept Jesus' identity from Him while He was growing up. However, He has abilities that other kids don't have and comes to realize who He truly is. This book seems to raise strong feelings in most Christians who read it; some love it and some hate it. I'm looking forward to reading it myself.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I heard this on the radio once and it really moved me, too. It really captures the feeling. Especially the first two lines and "did you shudder when your hammer struck a nail." *clutches heart* Amazing.