Thursday, January 18, 2007

Let the Sun Shine!

For those of you who don't live in Central Texas, you may not know about the disastrous weather we've been having around here the past week. I mean, it's almost like it's WINTER, for goodness' sake! We've been having ice storms and high temperatures below freezing. This makes from some interesting commutes to work! Every day this week we've had a delayed start, which has proven to be very nice for my sleep schedule, and then yesterday we finally had our first "snow day" of the year. The weather was so bad that even Baylor cancelled classes, so I got to have my sweetie home yesterday too! (See his blog for his trauma regarding the weather and Baylor cancellation.) So yesterday, I wore pajamas all day long, and the only productive thing I did was clean out the refrigerator, which desperately needed to be done. Justin and I did, however, celebrate our day off with an awesome pancake & omelet breakfast. YUM! It was so good I didn't even need lunch! We also watched Wheel of Fortune, which has become a daily occurence for us, and when, to our chagrin, we discovered that Friday Night Lights was a repeat, we took the opportunity to play some games. He beat me at both Life and Trivial Pursuit. So all in all, I'd call it a good day!
But I think enough is enough. I mean, this is Texas, after all! In case any of you have never wintered in Texas, there are 2 seasons here - hot/sunny and freezing/icy. The hot season lasts approximately 11 months - just 2 weeks ago we had temperatures in the 70s. Now suddenly we've reached "winter." That means cold temperatures and ice. No such thing as snow around here, just ice. But I say that one week of ice is plenty! I'm ready for some sunshine again! We were blessed with about 5 hours of sunshine this morning, which I desperately needed, but now it's overcast again. They're actually forecasting another round of ice storms next week - maybe I won't have to work a full 8 hour day for 2 weeks straight! I guess if I have to put up with all the ice, I might as well get the perk of time off work for it. So now that I've put you through this entirely meaningless post rambling about the weather and pajamas, I guess I'll leave you to do something more interesting. Thanks for your time!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Did I ever tell you about the biggest TX ice storm I ever experienced? It was the first winter we lived in Ft. Worth. I was working at First Baptist in Dallas and commuting from seminary housing. The ice started coming down early in the afternoon so everyone left work early to get home before it got bad. I didn't make it. It took me 5 hours to make the 35 minute commute. Fortunately I had my cell phone and the radio was working, so I didn't get too bored but I was starving by the time I got home. It wasn't too long after that I discovered the commuter train and started to ride it to work.

Anonymous said...

Joni,
I hope you enjoyed the SUNSHINE today! Wasn't it grand? I thought of you! :)