Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Insomnia and Fine Motor Skills

So apparently now that I'm in my second trimester, my body has decided it just doesn't need to sleep anymore. I lay in bed at night and just don't go to sleep. And it's not that I'm not tired - I just can't sleep. Normally if I can't sleep, I'll get up and read or something until I get tired. But these days my body, especially my eyes, are so tired that I don't want to get up. I want to sleep! I just can't. I have read that insomnia can be a symptom of the hormone changes in pregnancy, so I'm hoping that it will adjust itself soon. I've cut out taking my afternoon naps in an effort to make myself sleep at night. It hasn't worked yet, but surely it will soon!!!

Another strange side effect of pregnancy that has surprised me is that suddenly my typing has gotten really bad! I'm usually a fast and accurate typist. But ever since I got pregnant, my speed is still the same, but my accuracy is terrible! It takes me twice as long to type anything because I just can't seem to make my fingers hit the right keys! And then trying to backspace and type the right one... Sometimes I have to actually stop and do the chicken-peck method to get the right letter on the screen! For somebody who's pretty obsessive about spelling, grammar, and punctuation, this is not a fun thing.

Even though I've spent the entirety of this post so far complaining about my symptoms, I'm definitely enjoying pregnancy at this point! I love my baby so much, and I can't wait to meet it! I spend a lot of each day home alone, so I talk to the baby and sing to it. We have a good time! (It tells me that it's ok to eat that piece of chocolate after lunch! We're going to be good friends.) So I just want to affirm that even though I have some symptoms that are surprising and not entirely pleasant, I'm thrilled to be in this situation. :)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I think the insomnia during pregnancy is just prepping you for the lack of sleep once the baby's born. I remember doing all of the sewing on Patriot's cradle sheets in the wee small hours of the morning. I would just leave the sewing machine set up and when I couldn't sleep I'd have a project to work on. No fears, this too shall pass.