Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Rescue Pack

If any of you are my friends on Facebook, you may have seen that we started watching the show Go, Diego, Go! this week. If any of you are unfamiliar with the show, the basic premise is that Diego is an animal rescuer. Every week there is a different wild animal in some kind of danger, and Diego rescues it while learning all about the animal. Cute show - educational, bilingual (Diego is Hispanic.), interactive, and fantastic Latin music. However, I don't want this post to be about my review of the show.

In the show, Diego wears his Rescue Pack on his back. This thing is stinkin' awesome. It can turn into anything Diego needs to get through a dangerous situation safely - a boat, a raft, a bike, a wagon, a phone, a hang glider, a rope, a kayak, a skateboard, or a hot air balloon, just to name a few. So whenever Diego gets into a situation, he just tells the Rescue Pack what he needs it to be, and it turns into that. Very cool.

So right now I'm in a season of learning how to overcome some past hurts and disappointments in my life so I can move on. I was talking to a friend about it today, and she asked me to imagine myself standing on the edge of a cliff. The cliff I am on is my past dreams and plans - the things that turned out to not work the way I thought they would. Those have crumbled out from underneath me, so now I'm at the edge looking out into the chasm. Out in front of me is Plan B. It's dark and hazy out there - I have no idea what awaits. But my two choices are to either stand paralyzed on the edge of the cliff, which is where I've been for the past 6+ years, or I can let go of Plan A and jump in faith out into the unknown. She told me then to ask God "If I jump, what will You do?" So I did. And can you guess what He answered??

With a clear mental image of Diego hang-gliding off a mountain waterfall, God said to me, "I'll be your Rescue Pack." I burst out laughing and crying at the same time! What a sense of humor God has! But also how precious and tender of Him to reveal His truth to me in a way that I perfectly understand. I don't have to be afraid to let go of my past and jump out in faith into whatever God has for me, because He promises to be my Rescue Pack. He will be for me everything I need to complete my mission and arrive safely at my destination.

So I don't know what the future holds - quite possibly more hurts and disappointments. But God promises to be a safety net when I fall, a parachute to ease the descent, or He may just be my wings so I can soar!

2 comments:

Jan said...

Great analogy!! If we just trust Him, God will be everything and anything we need. Thanks for the reminder.

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing that Joni- I've been thinking about such things lately too.