Friday, April 21, 2006

Aaaaaaah, SPRING!

We have now entered that scrumptious time of year when the weather is warm and sunny, there's just enough rain to keep it cool, the flowers are blooming, and if you're lucky you can catch a glimpse of baby animals about! We have a little family of killdeer (That's a bird for those of you who have never heard of it before, like me until a week ago!) that are nesting right outside our office building at work, and the babies hatched last week. Killdeer can walk as soon as they hatch, so we had 4 little fluffy, baby killdeer running around, closely supervised by a squawking mama! Somehow at the beginning of this week, we were down to only 3 - we don't want to speculate too closely about what happened to the fourth one! Kristy, Rebecca, and I decided that since they were going to be hanging around the office, we should name them. So the three remaining babies are Frank, Frankie, and Frankster. Now admittedly, that's not incredibly creative. But we have no possible way to tell them apart, so we thought any of those names could apply to any of them, so we were ok no matter which one we called them. (I call them all Frankster...) I noted with some dismay, however, that today I've only seen 2 babies about. We decided that Daddy Killdeer must've taken little Frankie out to see a movie, which is why we haven't seen him all day. Surely there's nothing else that would've happened to him!!! RIGHT?!?!?!?!!?? Now if you're thinking that all this is slightly absurd, well, it is. But you've got to do something to keep your mind occupied when you're bored at work all day!! And when my apartment building won't let me have a pet, I just form an emotional attachment to whatever animal is about... DISCLAIMER: This is not my picture - there's no chance the grass around here is that lush and green. However, this is exactly what the little family we have around here looked like, so I thought it might give a good idea of what I'm talking about! Aren't they precious?!

9 comments:

Kristy said...

Okay, at the beginning of your post I was proud of you for getting such a good picture. I'm terrified for the other little baby. You MUST find him! Um - P.S. I miss you

Joni said...

Never fear, Kristy! I just spotted the third baby! He said he really enjoyed Ice Age 2. He said it was much better than March of the Penguins (Bad things happened to birds in that one!), but his all time favorite is still A Bug's Life (even though it made him hungry!).

I miss you too! We should make our lunch date a weekly thing!!!

Jessica said...

They are pretty cute little things! I'm looking forward to our baby robins outside.

Nicki W. said...

Ah! My grandparents have a Killdeer family out at their house. They are just fascinating little things. I enjoy watching them!

Kristy said...

Lunch next week is a great for me...unless I get chosen to be on the jury, in which case I'll get back to you in a few months! I'll call you early next week and we can talk about it.

JTapp said...

Common outdoor "housecats" are the #1 extinctor of birds.

Joni said...

Thank you, Justin, for that uplifting thought. At the moment, however, I'm more worried about automotive traffic than about housecats or any other predators. I hadn't been outside to look for the Killdeer family yet today, but when I left for lunch, little Frankster was wandering around by himself IN THE PARKING LOT!!! What's up with that?! Frankster, get out of the street where big cars might squish you! What kind of a mother lets her young innocent child wander around by himself in a parking lot?! I'm going to have to give Mommy Killdeer a talking to about this...

Ryan said...

Our sweet lovely beloved dogs killed a bird yesterday...(Barn swallow)
Those are my girls...the birds had built a nest on our back porch while we were gone

Ryan said...

and ohhh yeah it wasn't a baby for the animal lovers...if that makes it any better?!?
And welcome to Texas and the 100 degree weather in April!!