Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Land of the Living

I've finally recovered from strep throat (Amoxicillin is a wonderful thing!), and back to life as usual. This weekend was pretty crazy, with not only all the drugs and trying to recover from strep, but also with my mom's visit at the same time! It was a great time, though, and I'm bummed that I forgot to get any pics to post here. I feel like I didn't do a very good job of entertaining her, but she said all she came down for was to share my life! So we went grocery shopping and did laundry. You ask for it, Mom, you got it! We did make it to the Cameron Park Zoo, which I think was lovely. One of the best zoos I've been to, especially for such a small town. I love the way they keep several different kinds of animals all in the same enclosure... That's fun stuff. We also ate at several Waco specialties, including Bush's and George's. I was pretty impressed with George's. Very tasty and inexpensive! So altogether my weekend was great, and it was a combination of antibiotics and Mom's TLC that have me feeling better now!

On an entirely unrelated note, The Big Dance has finally reached its conclusion. I'm very pleased that Florida won it all, they were who I was rooting for after Gonzaga got beat. This is the first year, however, that I've actually watched the championship game and all the hoopla that goes on afterwards. It was all fine, I think it's great that they get to keep a piece of the net. But one tradition that I do not in any way understand is "One Shining Moment." I've been hearing lots of Justin's friends talking about this song that is played after the final game, and how it's always an emotional thing for them. Several guys have posts on their blogs about it, and several of them talk about how they always get teary-eyed during that last video montage. Well, last night was the first time I've ever experienced "One Shining Moment." I would've been in bed, but my husband insisted it was something I couldn't miss. I hate to admit it, but I thought it was stupid. (Don't tell him I said so!) In the first place, the song wasn't even good. But then there was just a silly video montage of random clips of the tournament. I just didn't get how that could be emotional for so many guys. I guess it's not necessarily the song or the video itself, but what it represents. Another college basketball season comes to a close, seven months until the next one. Maybe that's why they're sad. I think they'll be fine with pro basketball until then. And before we have another basketball season, we get to have MY favorite season, which is FOOTBALL!!!!!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

We had the exceptional priviledge of attending the championship game, and it was really cool. As it became a later and later night, the baby (17 months) got fidgety and ready to leave, but I didn't want to miss any of the experience. We stayed until the end of the game (after 11:30!) and experienced the awesome excitement of the fireworks and confetti! We saw the team receive their locker room t-shirts and celebrate together. We heard the winner announcments but, I admit, we had to leave before the "One Shining Moment." I understand it's the traditional grand conclusion to the entire season, but we just couldn't stay that much later. (The TV time-outs were taking forever and you can rest assured that those watching at home missed NOTHING during those commercials!)

The overall experience was remarkable and unforgettable!

Kristy said...

I am glad you are finally getting to experience some Waco favorites. Georges and bush's are hard to beat. Glad you enjoyed the zoo. Now you need to hit up the dr. pepper museum.

Joni said...

i'm still slightly bitter about the fact that my sister actually ATTENDED the final four and championship game. i'm so glad you had a good time, sis, and that patriot didn't keep you from enjoying it! i'm surprised the massive crowds weren't too much for him. you didn't miss anything by not staying for one shining moment... :)

kristy, we tried to go to the dr. pepper museum! we got there at 5:10 and it had closed at 5:00!! utter devastation. maybe next time my mom comes to visit...

Nicki W. said...

Oh that song. Get's em' every time.