Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Green Thumb?

I've decided to try my hand at gardening. Well, seeing as I don't have a yard, make that indoor potted gardening. I was given a poinsettia at work at Christmastime, and everybody else's in the office croaked, but mine flourished. So I began to wonder if maybe I have a green thumb, and since our apartment management forbids pets, I thought plants might be a subsitute of something I could take care of. My husband, who is so adept at figuring out ways to make me happy, learned of this new idea and bought me a miniature rose plant for Valentine's Day. It was a precious little plant, and I fell in love with it immediately. So I began researching miniature roses and trying to figure out how to keep this poor little thing alive. For the first 2 weeks, things weren't looking so hot. The leaves started to turn brown and all the blooms died. I said, "Maybe the green thumb idea was just a figment of my imagination." But then I decided to really get serious and invest in the little dude. So I bought a nice big pot and some moisture-controlling potting soil and repotted it, and I bought some Rose Food that I'll start giving it soon. I'm also leaving it outside all day while I'm at work, because roses need full sun. And it's starting to turn around!! I'm starting to see some new growth, which is a good indication to me that it's not dead! So we'll see if I can ever coax any blooms out of it. But either way I'm encouraged. My first 2 attempts at gardening in pots are turning out very nicely.

3 comments:

Corrie said...

I HEART gardening, so I will help in any way I can. I have lots of potted plants, so we can swap ideas on what works and doesn't work! Yay!

Kristy said...

how did i miss out on the poinsettia's?

Joni said...

kristy, are you kidding? did you really not get one? one of the volunteers gave all of the ladies poinsettias... i guess they forget you exist back there... :)