Tuesday, March 28, 2006

SICK!!!

After spending all winter healthy as a horse, I've finally succumbed to a dreaded illness. I went to bed Sunday evening with a little bit of a sore throat, and woke up Monday with a REALLY sore throat. Then as the day went on, I could feel a fever rising. Not good. I made it through the day at work on Monday, and went home and CRASHED. Slept for 1 1/2 hours. My precious husband got me some Wendy's chili (one of my favorite foods of all time!), so I got up to eat that and to watch The Apprentice. After that, back to bed. My fever rose throughout the night, topped out at about 100.5, and my throat felt like it was on fire! But sadly enough, I have a deadline at work today that I just can't skip out on. So I did go ahead and come to work, and the more I'm up and about the better I'm doing. I'm MAD, though, that right now is when I go and get sick, when my mom's coming to visit in 2 days! So in the hopes that I might be feeling better by Thursday, I went to the doctor this morning. I was just about sure I had strep throat, because I had the painful sore throat and fever, but no other cold/flu symptoms, and strep throat went around here at work a week or 2 ago. However, the doctor (who was an Aggie, by the way, very nice guy) did a culture and it wasn't strep. He said it was pharyngitis, which is a big name for a virus that attacks your throat. Being a virus, there's nothing really I can do except wait for my body to heal itself. So he just recommended a fairly high dose of Aleve and an analgesic throat spray to make eating/sleeping easier. Said I should be better in 7-10 days. So sorry, Mom! I'm going to be pathetic while you're here!!! So the good news is that I'm really not very contagious anymore. The bad news is that he said I was most contagious on Saturday and Sunday before my symptoms showed up. Sorry, Lifegroup!!! I hope none of you come down with this! If you do, just down some Aleve, and you'll feel better in 7-10 days...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're sick:( hope you feel better soon!!

Ryan said...

Crude!! So sorry Joni!! Hope you get to feeling better soon!!

Jessica said...

At least Mom will be there to take care of you. There's no one better to have around when you're sick than your mom. Have a great visit and I wish I could be there!

Ryan said...

I meant to say crud! (I'm an Aggie)

Kristy said...

Joni, we miss you at work today. I hope you start feeling better so you can come back tomorrow. Cause I miss you.

Joni said...

Well, after 2 days of getting WORSE after the doc told me I should be feeling better, I went BACK to the doctor this morning and he said "STREP THROAT!" So he gave me some antibiotics and hopefully I should be feeling tip-top by tomorrow! So that's only 1 day of feeling super-cruddy while Mom's here. And she did arrive safe and sound, and now we're both about to crash and take a nap. Welcome to Waco, Mom! :)