Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Huckabee for President

I've never known much about politics, but my world has broadened dramatically since being married to Justin! I actually have an opinion about most of the major issues, and I have a favorite candidate for the upcoming presidential elections... MIKE HUCKABEE! (Even stranger is the fact that he is not Justin's favorite - I decided this on my own!) I'm not going to talk about his politics, though, because I honestly don't think that's the most important thing when choosing a candidate. Most of the things the candidates are debating over are irrelevant because the president won't have power to change those things. For example, I love Huckabee's Fair Tax plan, but there is zero chance he could get that through Congress. However, there are many things a president makes Executive Orders on that he never talked about before being elected. So, in my opinion, it's more important to choose a candidate whose character you believe in and who you personally trust to make good decisions in office. So let me tell you about the reasons I like Mike Huckabee as a person:

- He is 52 years old, by far the youngest Republican candidate. I like that he's not an old fogy.
- He is a former Southern Baptist minister, and still confesses his faith publicly.
- He plays the bass guitar, and he's good at it too. His band has played at the House of Blues and 2 presidential inauguration balls, and has opened for the likes of Willie Nelson and the Charlie Daniels Band.- He believes in taking responsibility for your own health, and he made an example of himself by losing 110 pounds through healthy eating and exercise when he was diagnosed with diabetes in 2003. This is what he looked like before:- He is a marathon runner.
- He is an outdoorsman - hunting and fishing.
- He loves his dogs, pictured here with Jet. On his Facebook page, there is actually a picture of Mike & Janet Huckabee with President & Mrs. Bush, and they photoshopped the dog into the picture. Now that is funny.- He has a sense of humor, evidenced by this commercial he made with Chuck Norris.

These are just the things I could think of off the top of my head, but I think it's a pretty good list! Part of the reason I like him so much is that you can add 2 years to his age, take out the bits about losing 110 pounds, hunting, his dog, and Chuck Norris, and you have a perfect description of my dad. How could I not support and trust a candidate who is practically the twin of my dad, who is my lifelong hero?!

Pictures from Mike's Facebook page, information from mikehuckabee.com.

1 comment:

John said...

Thanks! Maybe I should run for pres.?