Tuesday, January 29, 2008

More About Eli

After making our name choice public to our families, we discovered some really neat connections with our families and the name Eli!

I said in the last post that Justin had an ancestor named Eli Tapp. Well, apparently I also have an ancestor on my dad's side whose name was Ely - different spelling, same pronunciation.

Even cooler than that, though, is what Justin's mom told him when she heard the news! She said that they had never told Justin this, but his middle name was almost Eli. They decided not to at the last minute because they didn't think Justin Eli sounded as good as they wanted, but they love the name and are thrilled with our choice.

I think those connections are so cool! And here we thought we were being so original with our choice... Of course, all of these connections are just plain Eli, so Elias is still quite original. Both traditional and unique - exactly what we wanted!!!

Justin also sent me this article from the New York Times about Eli Manning and his strong bond with his mother. While his older brothers Cooper and Peyton were with their dad at sporting events, Eli would go antiquing with his mom. Eli is 5 years younger than Peyton, so he had 5 years at home alone with his parents after Peyton moved out, and that gave him time to really bond with his mom when his dad was traveling for work. Read the article, it's nice. (Makes me want to root for him in the Super Bowl, even though I think he doesn't have a chance of winning...) So even though we're not naming our son after Eli Manning, I hope our Eli does take after him in this regard... Love your mama, boy!!!!!! :)

6 comments:

Kristy said...

So today I went down the chocolate aisle at HEB. It brought back memories! I miss you...

Joni said...

Is it sad that the chocolate aisle makes you think of me?! Nope! I'm proud! (And everyone has to remember that it was AFTER a healthy Subway tuna salad that we would go to HEB and indulge in some chocolate!!!) I miss you too!!

Corrie said...

I love the name!! Clara says she likes it too! We'll need to see a new belly pic as you continue to grow!

Joni said...

Corrie, I'm planning on doing a new pic every month. So give us another week and we'll be at 6 months! :)

Charity said...

ummmm.... what was that you said about eli not having a chance at winning?! ;)

Tatyanna said...

I really like the name that you've chosen and it seems like it's the right fit for this little guy. I will go ahead and give props to Eli for a job well done in the Super Bowl although I almost suggested that you name your little fella THOMAS BRADY TAPP because it didn't seem like Eli had a chance of winning but hey...he pulled out all the stops and a super bowl victory well deserved. Shauna, Kelly and I had dinner and a movie last night. We miss you guys in Moldova!!