Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Pinday: Stacked Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas

For this week's edition of Pinday, here is another healthy vegetarian recipe I found on Pinterest.  We love this so much, I've made it twice since I first found it!  Absolutely delicious, and so very healthy with all those veggies!  It is kind of work intensive since you have to chop all those fresh veggies, but I think the freshness is what makes it so delicious!  You could definitely chop them all the night before, or even roast them all the night before and have it put together ready to pop in the oven the next evening.  The pin is here, and the recipe is found here.  Below is my picture and the original recipe.

Stacked Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas
adapted from The Roasted Vegetable by Andrea Chesman

1 poblano chile, cut into matchsticks
2 red bell peppers, cut into matchsticks
1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 medium onion, halved and slivered
1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
3 T heat-safe oil like grapeseed or coconut
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and black pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups homemade or store bought salsa/pico de gallo
2 ounces baby spinach leaves (about 2 big handfuls)
9-10 corn tortillas, halved (try making homemade tortillas!)
2 cups shredded cheese (I used a cheddar-Monterey Jack blend)
sour cream and thinly sliced scallions (green onions) for garnish, if desired

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a large shallow roasting pan or rimmed cookie sheet.

Place poblanos, red bell peppers, cauliflower, sweet potato, onion, and corn kernels onto cookie sheet. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle the cumin and minced garlic over top. Add a generous pinch or two of salt and black pepper, then use your hands to mix everything together. After everything is coated well, spread the vegetables evenly in the pan. Roast for 30-40 minutes until vegetables are tender and begin to brown in spots. Stir or shake the pan every 10 minutes for even roasting.  Remove pan from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.

Prepare an 8x8x2 or 9x9x2-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, stir the cilantro into the salsa. Spread 1/4 cup of salsa into the bottom of the baking pan. Add a layer of tortilla pieces, to completely cover the salsa. Top with 1/3 of the vegetables, a handful of spinach, and 1/3 of the cheese. Make a second layer of tortilla, salsa, vegetables, spinach, and cheese. Top with with a layer of tortillas, salsa, vegetables, and cheese. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and everything is heated through.

Let it sit for 5 minutes and cut into squares. Serve with sour cream and a sprinkle of sliced scallions.

Serves 4-5
I leave out the poblano chile, but maybe throw in a little of another kind if I have it on hand.  I also use frozen corn and olive oil.  I also leave out the cilantro because I don't like it, and I didn't bother serving it with anything on top - it is stunning as is!  As you can see from my photo, though, this recipe fills up a 9x13 casserole dish...  I don't know how the original chef got it all to fit in a square dish, but no way would I be able to!  And I'd say it serves 6-8, depending on how big your eaters are.  But this is so scrumptious that I'm glad it makes a LOT...  I love having the leftovers again the next day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUM!!! That looks absolutely delicious! You continue to amaze me. :) P.S. I like the lace pumpkin, too!