Wednesday, June 04, 2008

2 Weeks Old

Thank you, everybody, SO SO much for your kind comments and your prayers. We have definitely felt your prayers and God is most definitely working on our behalf. I am doing so much better than I was even 2 days ago - more at peace with what is going on, and I haven't cried all day! :) Please keep praying!

And our sweet boy is 2 weeks old today! I can also tell a difference in him - he is doing really well with all that we're trying to do. I think he's getting into his groove with breastfeeding... He's getting the hang of the whole sucking and swallowing thing, and I'm starting to feel like he may actually be getting food when he eats. I was pretty worried yesterday because he just didn't seem to be swallowing much, and then he'd fall asleep before I felt like he got anything. But we all got good sleep last night - Eli went straight to sleep after every feeding, so Daddy didn't have to get up at all to do pacifier duty. And today things are definitely looking up. Feedings are going much faster too, as long as he remembers his suck/swallow groove. Keep up the prayers for this too! Tomorrow we'll be meeting with another lactation consultant, and we're hoping to get his latch straightened out. I'm also anxious to see if he's gaining any weight at our appointment tomorrow morning.

In other news, his umbilical cord fell off yesterday! So that's great, and we're excited to be able to put him in clothes besides a t-shirt. Here he is in his first onesie!What a cutie. You may also notice that he has a new paci. My mother-in-law went and stocked up on several different kinds, because he didn't always seem to enjoy the first one we had. So two nights ago we tried this one, and he took to it immediately. It really was miraculous. With the other one, we'd have to hold it in his mouth for a while before he figured out what to do with it, and he didn't always take it - sometimes it upset him more than it soothed him. This one is instant, and it almost always puts him straight to sleep. The shape of it is much better, and so I can see why it feels better in his mouth. Praise God for Nana's idea of trying other kinds!

And to close, I'll just post this picture that Nana captured of one of Eli's less-than-happy moments... What a face!

4 comments:

Nicki W. said...

good for you to be so honest! sometimes it just helps to write all of your feelings out!!
have you tried a nipple shield? i have heard it is a lifesaver for a lot of people...just a thought! hang in there--the first 2 months are the roughest in terms of overwhelming exhaustion.

Ryan said...

WOOOHOO!! SO glad things are getting better and better!!

I've seen that look before on Justin....it was when Joakim was scoring on his Cats!!

Miss you guys and wish we could just drive over to see the lil' guy!

KarenD said...

I've just checked in on you guys, and I have to say that even though we are in the third month now with Ian, and things DO get better... I remember those early days SO well, and I still can't fathom having another child and going through the newborn stage again.

There is a difference between the "blues" and postpartum depression. If you get a month or two down the line and still feel overwhelmed, please email me because I have experienced it. Praying for you.

karen@twiddledesigns.com

Jessica said...

I recognize that pacifier!! MAM brand--the same kind as Asa takes. and we tried several the first day we went for a pacifier and it was the only one of three he would take and he LOVES it!! enjoy!! and i am glad things are looking up...you two are doing an amazing job and just keep praying for God to bless you with peace of heart and peace of mind in these days.... i am praying this for you.