Sunday, June 08, 2008

More Going On Than We Think...

I said in my last post that Nana was "on duty" the past 2 nights. This is because Justin was out of town. And these were two of the worst days we've had with Elias. He was just a terror and my emotional reactions to him were out of control. When Justin got back yesterday afternoon, he shared a thought which made me pause. He's reading a book about spiritual authority and spiritual attack (which I'm sure he'll review on his blog when he finishes it). He said that he thought the hard time we had with Elias while he was gone wasn't just a fluke, but it was actually spiritual warfare. Justin, the spiritual head and authority in our home, was away and so that left us more vulnerable to attack. And looking at it, I can totally see how that could be true. Especially considering that as soon as Justin got home and we prayed over him together, Eli started eating and sleeping again. Last night was a dream - he went straight down after every feeding and slept until the next one like he had been doing before Justin left. This is kind of scary to think about the attack we were under with Justin away, but it is also empowering to recognize the enemy and be prepared to fight him next time we're in this situation. It is easy to get caught up in the physical aspects of caring for a baby - feeding, sleeping, diapering, etc. But we can't neglect the spiritual aspect of life as well. The enemy wants to destroy our family and home, and he'll take advantage of any way he can get his foot in the door. I want to be covered in prayer and ready for him when he comes! This is a battle we have already won.

Here's a picture of us from today - Elias is 18 days old!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Look at the sweet little baby face -- I don't believe a word of what you're saying about him . . .

The spiritual attack on your children doesn't end when they grow out of the baby stage. I am convinced that, at times, my kids are demon possessed. Sometimes their behavior, especially when they're throwing fits, is so perfectly frightening but also so perfectly in line with some New Testament descriptions that it has to be spiritual warfare. I have actually commanded Satan to leave my 3 year-old's body before.

One interesting thought that I just learned: Satan is not omnipotent like God is, so Satan cannot read our thoughts. We must verbally command demons for our battle to be effective.

KarenD said...

Wow, amazing. Praying for you guys.